How do I get a free credit report and what is my credit score?
Your credit report holds your personal financial details, giving lenders information on which they will decide if they will offer you the finance applied for or not.
Different lenders have different criteria, that is why some you may pass with and some you may not.
You can view this information too for free.
Here are the top reasons people are usually rejected for credit
- Not what they are looking for - Every lender will have their own ideas of the ideal customer. Whilst one lender may view your application positively, another may a see a negative.
- High credit applications in quick succession - Too many credit applications in a short space of time can be seen as a negative by lenders.
- Bad credit history - If they can see you have borrowed before, in recent years not made back payments on time, this will no doubt go against you.
- Mistake on your application form - Be careful when filling in the forms, paper or on-line as any spelling mistake can make a big difference.
- No credit history - If you have not had credit before, it's hard for lenders to put together your credit story and they may see this as more of a risk.
- Errors on your credit report - You may have associations which are not correct, make sure you check and correct them.
- Not registered on the electoral roll - Electoral roll information provides lenders proof that you are who you say you are and where you say you reside and helps to avoid identity fraud, which gets bigger every day.
Where can I check my credit file for free?
There are a few companies now that allow access to your credit file for free.
Check My File
- Your Credit Score
- Electoral Roll Information
- Financial Associations
- Short Term Loans
- Long Term Loans
- Defaults and CCJ's
Check my file allows you to check all the credit reference agencies in one place, rather than just the one you are signed up to.
This way you can see everything in one go.
The only credit report you need, with data from 4 agencies. 30-day free trial.
The Best Customer Service, Easy to Sign Up & Cancel, 1st Online in the UK
Check My File offer a free trial, go there now.
Call credit created Noddle so you can get all your information on your credit file, free for life.
This will be all the information held by Call credit, about yourself.
For free, forever.
Only allows seeing Equifax information.
See the clear score website.
Free Forever Experian Credit Score.
No Charges & No Hidden Costs!
Know Where You Stand, UK's Most Trusted, Get Started In Minutes No trials, Free Forever.
Only has Experian data, see the Experian website.
What Information does my credit report give me?
Defaults, missed payments and CCJ's will stay on your credit file for around 6 years.
What if I don't agree with something on my file?
If you check your report and there is something on your file that you do not think is the right information, then you can put in for a correction, details will be on the reporter's website, which ever on you decide to use.
This then will be reviewed and if agreed with, then you will see it drop off within weeks.
Do your research and choose the right lender
There are many financial agreements in everyday life, from the top end of Mortgage and cars to mobile phones and catalogues, lenders will generally say if the specialise in certain areas.
If you check your file first, then you will get a good idea on which type of companies you may have a chance of a pass with.
If you apply for credit too much, eg get rejected and then keep applying somewhere else then this can lead to a negative view from lenders.
Try and get the right kind of company first. Try contract phones for bad credit, if you have struggled in the past.
Most Popular News